Various - Studio One Music Lab CDSKU: SJRCD503
This new Studio collection on Soul Jazz Records delves deep into a melting pot world of reggae and funk and dub created at the music laboratory of 13 Brentford Road, Kingston in the 1970s – an intense collaboration of crack musicians, singers, DJs and engineers under the guidance of producer Clement 'Coxsone' Dodd.
All of these sit beside super-deep roots and dub cuts that exemplify together how Studio One was unique in Clement Dodd's pioneering vision of reggae, the music created functioning with a continuous level of experimentation that blurred the lines between genres and pushed the outer limits of reggae music at all times. This album is deep!
The album comes with extensive sleevenotes by Steve Barker (Wire magazine) and comes in slipcase.
Format & package: CD in slipcase
Record label: Soul Jazz Records
Year of release: 2022 (compilation)
1. Hortense and The Sound Dimension – People Make the World Go Round Version
2. Leroy Wallace and The New Establishment – Far Beyond Version
3. Sound Dimension – Face Man Version
4. Fabian & The Vibes – Mother and Child (Part 2)
5. Lennie Hibbert – Go For Yourself
6. Dub Specialist – Chainey Roots
7. Brentford All Stars – The World Is A Ghetto
8. The Jay Tees and Brentford Rockers – Forward To Jah (Part 2)
9. Roy Richards – Summertime
10. Lennie Hibbert – Snow Bird
11. Pablov Black – Dread Head
12. Cedric Im Brooks – Glory To Sound
13. Jackie Mittoo – Lazy Bones
14. Dub Specialist – Message From Dub
15. Jackie Mittoo – Sunshine Of Your Love
16. Roland Alphonso – Tenor Man Trip
17. Ernest and The Sound Dimension – Surfin' (Part 2)